Most adults need 7-9 hours of sleep each day, but many Americans get by on less than 6. Some just don’t take the time to sleep, while others struggle with getting a quality night’s sleep. Why is sleep so important? Here are the top 4 reasons:
1. Immunity - Lack of sleep increases the chance that you will get sick. Rest helps the body recuperate each day.
2. Skin – Beauty sleep is real! Lack of sleep affects skin moisture and can enhance wrinkles.
3. Mood – Lack of sleep can contribute to irritability and stress, and chronic insomnia has been linked to anxiety and depression.
4. Energy – If you don’t sleep well, your energy level will be low. Good sleep refreshes the body and helps you feel more energized.
So, how can you get more sleep? Here are my top 3 ways you can get a better night’s sleep:
1. Manage Stress. Stress contributes to insomnia and sleep disturbance. Manage stress naturally by supporting nerve health with B vitamins and nerve-supporting herbs like passion flower or chamomile. Try yoga or deep breathing exercises in the evening to calm the body and mind. Aromatherapy can also help with stress. Inhaling certain scents helps calm and quiet the mind, allowing you to fall asleep easier. Scents that support calm and relaxation include lavender, chamomile and bergamot.
2. Create Comfort. Take time to wind down before bed, turning off devices and televisions. Take a nice soaking aromatherapy and mineral salt bath to relax your body and soothe any aches and pains. Sip on a nice cup of passion flower tea to ease stress and calm the body. Make sure your bed and bedroom are comfortable - a cool, dark room supports better sleep.
3. Try Natural Remedies. Magnesium plays an important role in sleep, supporting relaxation. A magnesium deficiency can result in insomnia, while magnesium supplementation has been reported to enhance sleep and reduce nighttime awakenings. Valerian is well-known as a mild sedative that can help you fall asleep more quickly, and reduce the number of awakenings during the night. Herbal nervines like hops and passionflower help nourish and calm nerves. These act on the body naturally, without unwanted side effects common to prescription and over-the-counter sleep medicines.
You can improve your sleep today by starting with just one of the steps listed here and before you know it, you’ll be sleeping better than you have in years.