It is HOT outside, and that summer sun just seems to drain the energy form our bodies. Add that to the fact that as a society, we are overtired, overworked and overstressed, making us a very worn-out group of people! Low energy can be caused by anything from stress, heat, and poor diet, to hypoglycemia, anemia, low adrenal or low thyroid function. Here are my top 5 tips to combat fatigue and boost energy levels naturally:
1. Get Some Sleep. Sleep is essential for your body to recover and restore itself. If sleep does not come easy, try a natural approach such as an herbal sleep remedy containing valerian, or try melatonin if you are over 40. I personally use melatonin and find it helps me sleep through the night.
2. Exercise to Energize. Exercise is a key part of a life full of energy. Exercise improves your heart function and circulation, and just helps you feel good! Even short bouts of exercise, 10-20 minutes at a time, can contribute to feeling more energized.
3. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Your body needs water to function well and stay cool. High pH with electrolytes is best during these hot days. Another popular summer refresher is coconut water which is naturally rich in electrolytes.
4. Nourish with Nutrients. In addition to a fruit and vegetable rich diet, add a foundation high potency multivitamin to ensure your body is getting essential nutrients needed each day. If you don’t eat enough fruits and vegetables, consider using a greenfoods powder to fill in the gaps. Add a daily stress B complex. B vitamins are essential for energy production and adrenal support in the body. B and C vitamins are used up quickly when the body is under stress, and need to be replenished on a daily basis.
5. Adapt with Adaptogens. Adaptogens have a balancing effect on the body, helping to normalize the stress response and boost adrenal function and endurance. Rhodiola, eleuthero and holy basil are examples of adaptogen herbs.